Connect with us

News

Two white men charged in beating of black man in Shawnee

Published

on

SHAWNEE — Two white men who were caught on video beating a black man outside a music venue in June, have been charged with felony crimes in Pottawatomie County District Court in connection with the brutal attack, and an attorney representing the victim’s family is pursuing a civil rights case against the defendants.

Jarric Deshawn Carolina, 36, was beaten about 2 a.m. June 22, in a parking lot outside the BrickHouse Saloon in Shawnee. A witness told police that the attackers shouted racial slurs and the men shouted, “White power!” as they fled the scene. Another man also was attacked, Monty Whittet, who is white, but he did not need medical treatment at the scene, police reported.

Two men have been charged with felonies — Devan N. Johnson, 24, of Harrah, and Brandon Wayne Killian, 28, of Oklahoma City. Both men were charged July 5, records show.

Both men were released from Pottawatomie County jail on $25,000 bail after the attack.

Killian failed to appear for an Oklahoma County court appearance stemming from a January 2018 charge of possession of a stolen vehicle and drug paraphernalia and was arrested and jailed in Oklahoma County. Killian was scheduled to appear before an Oklahoma County judge Wednesday afternoon, but the hearing was pushed back two weeks.

At the courthouse, the family’s attorney Edward Maguire said he had been advised by the Oklahoma County district attorney’s office that they were looking into additional details before bringing Killian in front of a judge and that an attorney had expressed interest in representing Killian.

“At least the victim’s family knows where he’s going to be. We do know that Mr. Killian will be in Oklahoma County, thankfully, for the next two weeks,” Maguire said.

He spoke about Wednesday’s rescheduling as a positive outcome in that it would give him more time to prepare his case and that he believed the family would be pleased.

“I think the family’s going to be ecstatic. Their biggest fear was, having been down this road before with other folks, that Mr. Killian was going to be walking out of the courtroom today.”

As for what the victim and the victim’s family want, Maguire said they spoke in depth about their goals on Wednesday.

“I keep being told the same thing, we don’t care about anything other than getting justice for Jarric. We’re not looking for huge settlements, we’re not looking for huge windfalls,” Maguire said. “We’re not looking for anything other than to see, to make sure that Mr. Killian and Mr. Johnson are behind bars for a long period of time, that they stay in their orange jumpsuits for the foreseeable future.”

Maguire said the family’s first concern is Jarric Carolina’s health. Jarric Carolina has been released from a hospital, but he has an eye that was knocked out of place and will require extensive medical attention at the Dean McGee Eye Institute. He also is having trouble with memory and walking.

Jarric Carolina and wife, Jamie Carolina, have two young children at home.

“He’s (Jarric) gradually improving, but we still have a long road ahead,” Jamie Carolina said Wednesday.

Maguire said he wants the case in Pottawatomie County prosecuted as a felony hate crime, but the state’s statutes are woefully inadequate.

“Our statute in Oklahoma, it’s very limited when it comes to hate crimes and as it’s written, Mr. Killian is being charged, along with Mr. Johnson, under a misdemeanor hate crime. The victim’s family and the victim both feel that this is not adequate to address this situation,” he said.

Maguire said he is looking into filing a state or federal civil lawsuit alleging the attack was a hate crime and that Jarric Carolina’s civil rights were violated.

Source

Online Source For Dallas, Top News, and Culture

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

FOX 8 journalist Nancy Parker killed in New Orleans East plane crash

Published

on

NEW ORLEANS, La. (WVUE) – Nancy Parker, a journalist at FOX 8 for 23 years, was killed in a small plane crash in New Orleans East on Friday afternoon.

The pilot of the plane, Franklin J.P. Augustus was also killed.

Parker was shooting a story in a stunt plane with Augustus, who was a member of a Louisiana group that honored the Tuskegee Airmen.

Various emergency agencies responded to a plane crash that happened just after 3 p.m. in a field near Jourdan Rd. and Morrison Rd.

A Federal Aviation Administration spokesperson said the plane involved was a 1983 Pitts S-2B aircraft and crashed about a half-mile south of the New Orleans Lakefront Airport under unknown circumstances.

Read More Here

Continue Reading

News

Charlotte Mayor, other African American city and county leaders receive racist, threatening letter

Published

on

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — More than a dozen city leaders, all of them African American except for one, received a letter in the mail to their respective offices that was threatening and racist. Now, police are taking a close look. 

“If I can assume the intent, the intent was to intimidate,” Councilman Braxton Winston said. 

He was one of the people who received the letter. Winston said two weeks ago he was opening mail at his office at the Government Center in uptown when he started reading a hateful message. 

“We get hate-mail all the time,” he said. “But this one was unique … It was pretty intense, pretty intense, [and] pretty well thought out.”

The letter read in part,  “…Each of you despicable BLACK democrats should be tarred and feathered and run out of town (my town) on a rail…”

“From go back to where you came from, to tarred and feathering which I take as a form of lynching,” Winston said, remembering what the letter said. 

“What I would call pretty racist, bigoted,” he added. 

The letter was also addressed to police, fire, and CMS officials. 

It blamed African Americans for various things, praised President Donald Trump and used a phrase that was chanted by his supporters at a North Carolina rally earlier this year: “Send her back” 

The letter writes, “I do believe you need to go back to where you came from if you don’t BEGIN to show this great country some RESPECT and HONOR.”

It went on to say, “leave our Confederate Memorials and statues alone” and eluded to someone “blowing up the infamous ‘adulterer’ MLK statues.”

“I’m turning my letter over to the FBI,” said Mecklenburg County Commissioner Vilma Leake, who also received a copy in the mail. 

Read More at WCNC

Continue Reading

News

Colin Kaepernick Marks 3rd Anniversary Of National Anthem Protest With Video

Published

on

To mark three years since he began a civil rights protest by not standing during the national anthem at an NFL game, Colin Kaepernick shared an emotional video Wednesday paying tribute to people affected by police brutality. 

The former San Francisco 49ers quarterback, who’s been unsigned since the season he began protesting, tweeted the video with a promise that he’s continuing to “work and stand with the people in our fight for liberation,” referring to the disproportionate number of Black people killed by police.

The video features remarks from friends and family of Alton Sterling, Michael Brown, Tamir Rice and Philando Castile, who were all victims of police violence.

Read More Here at HUFF POST

Continue Reading



Follow Us

Trending