17 year-old Charles Smith Jr. shot by North Little Rock police.
According to ArkansasOnline The North Little Rock Police Department on Wednesday released footage showing the fatal shooting of a teenage gunman by officers after a struggle.
Police Chief Mike Davis said during a news conference that the release of dashboard-camera video footage from the scene was deemed necessary after a “great deal of misinformation” spread on social media.
“I fear that misinformation gets out that says the subject wasn’t armed, that the subject didn’t shoot,” he said, adding “that is not the case.”
Davis shared little new information regarding the ongoing investigation during the news conference at the agency’s training building.
On Sunday, officers initiated a traffic stop shortly after 1 a.m. near the intersection of 52nd Street and Camp Robinson Road, according to police.
The vehicle had been traveling an an “excessive speed” and had a headlight that wasn’t functioning properly, Davis said.
The chief said responding officers expressed concern over the “nervousness” of the driver while speaking with him. Three people inside the car, including its driver, were asked to step out in the minutes that followed, the footage shows.
Authorities said a gun and a small bag containing marijuana was found on one of the occupants — 17-year-old Charles Smith Jr. — during a pat-down search. A stolen firearm was also later found on the driver’s-side floorboard.
“As officers continued to pat him down, Smith attempted to gain control of a handgun and flee, at which time he was taken to the ground,” Davis said.
Officers tried to subdue Smith using a stun gun but were unsuccessful, said Sgt. Brian Dedrick, a Police Department spokesman. He did not say how many attempts were made.
A struggle ensued around 1:15 a.m., and Smith eventually pulled out the weapon from his waistband and fired one shot that almost struck the other two occupants nearby outside, according to police.
“[Smith] is then observed engaging the slide back on the gun and again firing at officers, almost striking one officer in the face,” the chief said.
That resulted in three officers firing shots at Smith less than a minute later, the video showed. Smith was pronounced dead at the scene.
“No officer wants to be put in this position, but these officers were left with no other choice but to protect their lives and return fire,” Davis said.
He added that an investigation into the shooting should be completed “very soon.” Findings will then be submitted to the Pulaski County prosecuting attorney’s office for review regarding whether deadly force was justified.
The North Little Rock Police Department — one of a handful of mostly large departments in Arkansas that elect to conduct in-house criminal investigations of such encounters — is conducting that investigation.
Read More Here
Two white men charged in beating of black man in Shawnee
SHAWNEE — Two white men who were caught on video beating a black man outside a music venue in June, have been charged with felony crimes in Pottawatomie County District Court in connection with the brutal attack, and an attorney representing the victim’s family is pursuing a civil rights case against the defendants.
Jarric Deshawn Carolina, 36, was beaten about 2 a.m. June 22, in a parking lot outside the BrickHouse Saloon in Shawnee. A witness told police that the attackers shouted racial slurs and the men shouted, “White power!” as they fled the scene. Another man also was attacked, Monty Whittet, who is white, but he did not need medical treatment at the scene, police reported.
Two men have been charged with felonies — Devan N. Johnson, 24, of Harrah, and Brandon Wayne Killian, 28, of Oklahoma City. Both men were charged July 5, records show.
Both men were released from Pottawatomie County jail on $25,000 bail after the attack.
Killian failed to appear for an Oklahoma County court appearance stemming from a January 2018 charge of possession of a stolen vehicle and drug paraphernalia and was arrested and jailed in Oklahoma County. Killian was scheduled to appear before an Oklahoma County judge Wednesday afternoon, but the hearing was pushed back two weeks.
At the courthouse, the family’s attorney Edward Maguire said he had been advised by the Oklahoma County district attorney’s office that they were looking into additional details before bringing Killian in front of a judge and that an attorney had expressed interest in representing Killian.
“At least the victim’s family knows where he’s going to be. We do know that Mr. Killian will be in Oklahoma County, thankfully, for the next two weeks,” Maguire said.
He spoke about Wednesday’s rescheduling as a positive outcome in that it would give him more time to prepare his case and that he believed the family would be pleased.
“I think the family’s going to be ecstatic. Their biggest fear was, having been down this road before with other folks, that Mr. Killian was going to be walking out of the courtroom today.”
As for what the victim and the victim’s family want, Maguire said they spoke in depth about their goals on Wednesday.
“I keep being told the same thing, we don’t care about anything other than getting justice for Jarric. We’re not looking for huge settlements, we’re not looking for huge windfalls,” Maguire said. “We’re not looking for anything other than to see, to make sure that Mr. Killian and Mr. Johnson are behind bars for a long period of time, that they stay in their orange jumpsuits for the foreseeable future.”
Maguire said the family’s first concern is Jarric Carolina’s health. Jarric Carolina has been released from a hospital, but he has an eye that was knocked out of place and will require extensive medical attention at the Dean McGee Eye Institute. He also is having trouble with memory and walking.
Jarric Carolina and wife, Jamie Carolina, have two young children at home.
“He’s (Jarric) gradually improving, but we still have a long road ahead,” Jamie Carolina said Wednesday.
Maguire said he wants the case in Pottawatomie County prosecuted as a felony hate crime, but the state’s statutes are woefully inadequate.
“Our statute in Oklahoma, it’s very limited when it comes to hate crimes and as it’s written, Mr. Killian is being charged, along with Mr. Johnson, under a misdemeanor hate crime. The victim’s family and the victim both feel that this is not adequate to address this situation,” he said.
Maguire said he is looking into filing a state or federal civil lawsuit alleging the attack was a hate crime and that Jarric Carolina’s civil rights were violated.
Video shows white man calling the police on Black man waiting for a friend
Yet another white person has gone viral for calling 911 on a Black person when an inter-personal matter did not seem to warrant bringing in law enforcement.
This time it was an engineer who was reportedly waiting for his disabled friend to meet him outside her apartment in the Bay area, reports Raw Story. The video picked up steam on social media over the weekend.
Another anti-Black racist in the #BayArea was filmed while he made a fraudulent 911 call on an innocent Black man who was standing outside of a building waiting on his friend to come down. The anti-Black racist’s name is allegedly Christopher Cukor, and he works for @youtube pic.twitter.com/AUuerRDaz3
— Tariq Nasheed 🇺🇸 (@tariqnasheed) July 6, 2019
The Black man patiently records the white man describing him to the police and alludes to the fact that he will be the next white person who becomes famous for calling 911 on a Black person for no good reason. The white man’s son begins crying, saying “Daddy no, please don’t” as his dad ignores his pleas, telling 911 that the Black man is trespassing in his building, even though they’re apparently standing on a public sidewalk. His son starts to cry, “Please, let’s go. Daddy, I don’t like this.”
In a second video, the Black man’s friend shows up and the kid starts pulling on his dad’s arm, yelling, “I told you! Let’s go now! Daddy look what you’ve gotten us into!” The man behind the camera comments that it took her a while to get there because she is handicapped.
Even as his friend who lives in the building stands next to him, the white man stays on the phone with 911, complaining that he refused to identify himself and was trespassing. The video ends seconds after he appears to end the call with the police.
Christopher Cukor, a Youtube employee, called the cops on a black man in the Bay Area who was standing outside of an apartment building waiting for his friend to come down. Twitter, do your thing & expose him.
— Simar (@sahluwal) July 7, 2019
Neither the identity of the man who called the police or the man who filmed the video has been confirmed. However, Tariq Nasheed of Foundational Black America tweeted the video on Saturday and said that the Bay Area white man has been identified by some as a YouTube employee.
Family brawls at Disneyland as children watch
ANAHEIM, Calif – A Disneyland guest recorded a violent brawl that broke out between a family at Disneyland on Sunday.
The video, dated July 6th, shows at least two men and two women involved in the fight at Mickey’s Toontown, with others trying to intervene and stop the altercation. Children, along with other park guests, witnessed the fight.
At one point a woman could be seen hobbling out of her motorized chair and falling later in the altercation.
Another woman could also be seen spitting in a mans face and him punching her in retaliation.
The guests, who are family members, were immediately escorted out of the park, a Disneyland official told KTLA.
“We do not condone this behavior,” a statement from Disney said.
The case is now being investigated by Anaheim police, who did not immediately respond to request for more information.
The video below contains disturbing images and language