Connect with us

News

Meek Mill plea deal ends case with no more time in prison

Published

on

Rapper Meek Mill pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor gun charge in Philadelphia court on Tuesday and won’t serve additional time in prison — bringing an end to a case that’s kept him on probation for most of his adult life and turned him into a high-profile activist for criminal justice reform. The negotiated plea comes a month after an appeals court threw out his 2008 conviction

The 32-year-old rapper, born Robert Rihmeek Williams, had already served about two years in prison in the case, which began with an arrest when he was 19. The judge decided he won’t have to spend any additional time behind bars or on probation.

“I know this has been a long road for you and hopefully this will be the end of it,” Judge Leon Tucker told the rapper.

The negotiated plea came after both sides questioned the credibility of the arresting officer. The defense also accused the trial judge of bias for sending the entertainer back to prison over minor probation violations.

Williams has called the 12-year ordeal “mentally and emotionally challenging,” but said millions of people face the same issues. He has become an activist for criminal justice reform since he was sent back to prison in 2017 for technical violations he blamed on his erratic travel schedule as his career soared. He spent five months locked up before an appeals court granted him bail.

After the hearing, the rapper spoke briefly to cheering supporters who had gathered for a rally outside the courthouse. 

“I just wanted to come up here myself and thank all the supporters because I know y’all probably got family members in jail or people going through the same thing as me and I will continue to do what I do with the reform movement and help the people who helped me,” Williams said.

Last month, a Pennsylvania appeals court overturned the conviction, saying new evidence undermined the credibility of the officer who testified against the rapper at his trial and made it likely he would be acquitted if the case were retried.

District Attorney Larry Krasner’s office had supported Williams’ appeal and said it could not call the former officer to testify after an internal probe found he’d stolen money on duty and lied about it.

“(The state) cannot call a witness whose credibility it mistrusts,” prosecutors wrote in a legal brief this year.

The officer, Reginald Graham, has denied the allegations.

Speaking at a press conference Tuesday, Krasner said the plea deal is not an exoneration “of someone who was completely innocent,” but he said the resolution is a fair one to a case he said involved excessive punishment, unfair procedures and “questionable integrity.”

“I frankly can’t think of the last case I saw where there was a conviction of this nature, and yet the supervision went on in excess of 10 years,” Krasner said.

He said Williams has accepted responsibility for his criminal conduct and noted “profound changes in Mr. Williams since the time of his original conviction.”

Williams has spent a total of about two years in prison over the case, including an initial term of about a year and several later stints over travel violations and painkiller use.

Read More at cbsnews

Online Source For Dallas, Top News, and Culture

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Texas officer pulled out woman’s tampon on side of road, settlement expected

Published

on

SAN ANTONIO – The city of San Antonio is scheduled to vote Thursday on a possible $205,000 settlement for a woman who claims a San Antonio Police officer pulled out her tampon and searched her vaginal cavity on a public street in August 2016.

Natalie D. Simms filed a federal lawsuit against the city of San Antonio after she was approached by police while sitting on the side of a public street, talking on the phone and waiting for her boyfriend.

Simms had driven her car to the area and consented to a vehicle search by police, according to the lawsuit.

Documents show that despite not finding anything illegal during the search of the vehicle, a female officer was called to the scene to search Simms’ body.

Detective Mara Wilson, who is now retired, arrived on scene and conducted the search on Simms in front of several male officers. The search was also partially recorded by a dash camera on Wilson’s police vehicle.

The lawsuit details the conversation between Simms and Wilson during the search and indicates Simms did not consent to a vaginal search.

Wilson pulled Natalie’s pants and underwear down in public and used her flashlight to search the area, in addition to pulling a string attached to a tampon out of Simms vagina, according to the lawsuit.

The conversation between Simms and Wilson, taken directly from the lawsuit, reads:

WILSON: Uh-huh. Are you wearing a tampon, too?
SIMMS: Yes.
WILSON: Okay. I just want to make sure that’s what it is. Is that a tampon?
SIMMS: Come on. Yes.
WILSON: Huh? Is that a tampon?
SIMMS: It’s full of blood, right? Why would you do that?
WILSON: I don’t know. It looked like it had stuff in there.
SIMMS: There ain’t nothing in there.

Wilson also commented on the amount of pubic hair Simms had and continued to tell Simms they could not go to the police station to finish conducting the search, despite Simms’ persistence, the lawsuit states.

Simms was allowed to drive away following the search when officers didn’t find anything illegal. She filed the lawsuit in March 2018.

If approved during Thursday’s city council meeting, the settlement money would be paid from the city’s self-insurance liability fund.

Read More Here

Continue Reading

News

Mother says 12-Year-Old son Suspended From Worcester Middle School for Hugging Gym Teacher

Published

on

A 12-year-old student in Worcester, Massachusetts, has been suspended for hugging a gym teacher.

The foster mother of the Forest Grove Middle School student is asking for change after the boy was suspended for 10 days and given a record of physical assault of a teacher.

“I was told he had put his hands on a teacher,” said Julie Orozco. “I was shocked and asked for details on what happened, and then I was told that he hugged his gym teacher.”

“At the end of the day, I just hugged her, nothing really happened,” the seventh-grader said.

NBC10 Boston is not identifying the 12-year-old boy, but Orozco says he fully admits he was fooling around with friends in gym class when the teacher told him to sit out.

“And then I went over just like, and I gave her a hug and said, ‘Please, I don’t want to sit out’ because I like the game,” he said.

After sitting out for five minutes, the teacher allowed him to play.

“I don’t expect the teacher to have to be OK with being touched or being hugged, but I do expect as an educator that she educate what the boundaries are in her classroom,” Orozco said.

She says after several phone calls, emails and an eventual hearing, she got his school record reduced to “disruption of school” and his suspension reduced to four days. But she says there’s nothing in the school handbook about hugs and she doesn’t want this incident to be held against him in the future.

“If you can admit to me that you didn’t have a mechanism or a process, or any way of informing students what your expectations were, but then in the same breath you say to me, ‘He’s 12, he should know hugs are not OK,’ it’s confounding,” Orozco said.

Reached by phone, the school district’s safety director said the district has no comment on the matter.

Orozco has been invited by the school committee to speak at their meeting Thursday about what her son is going through.

News Source at NBC10

Continue Reading

News

Texas police officer facing DWI charges after being found passed out at drive-thru

Published

on

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — A Corpus Christi Police Department officer is facing DWI charges after being found passed out at a drive-thru this weekend.

Donnie Mersing, Jr., 51, was arrested at 3:08 a.m Saturday. According to court documents, officers were dispatched to the Whataburger on the 4000 block of IH-69. An off-duty officer said he found Mersing sitting in the driver seat of his truck, asleep in the drive-thru.

That off-duty officer said Whataburger staff told him Mersing had ordered and was passed out between the two drive-thru windows. The off-duty officer walked outside and started hitting the the vehicle window to wake up Mersing.

According to the report, “it took him awhile to wake up but when he did he found that Mersing seemed out of it.”

The off-duty officer had Mersing pull into a parking stall in order to clear the line of vehicles waiting behind him.

Once Mersing pulled into a parking spot, he handed the officer his driver’s license and his Corpus Christi Police Department’s identification card.

When an officer with the Corpus Christi Police Department arrived, she found that Mersing had bloodshot eyes and slurred speech.

According to the report, he “had an odor of an alcoholic beverage emitting for his person.”

Mersing told the officer he had been up since 5:30 a.m. He was tired and fell asleep. Mersing said he just stopped at Whataburger to get a breakfast burger and was heading back home.

According to the report, Mersing told the officer he was coming from his home. He also said he had a six-pack of Bud Light around noon and also had a beer with dinner.

Mersing was arrested for driving while intoxicated. He was taken to the City Detention Center where he refused to provide a breath specimen.

A judge set Mersing’s bond at $2,500. He bonded out of the Nueces County Jail later that day.

There’s no word yet on Mersing’s status with the Corpus Christi Police Department.

News Source at KJRH

Continue Reading



Follow Us

Trending