Connect with us

Sports

Jay-Z Helped the NFL Banish Colin Kaepernick

Published

on

Yesterday the hip-hop mogul Jay-Z and National Football League Commissioner Roger Goodell held a joint media session at the Roc Nation offices in New York to seal a once-implausible partnership that isn’t being received as positively as both parties probably hoped.

I assume neither Goodell nor Jay-Z expected to be on the defensive once the NFL announced that it would give Roc Nation, the music mogul’s entertainment company, significant power in choosing the performers for the league’s signature events—including the coveted Super Bowl halftime show. Jay-Z and Roc Nation will also help augment the NFL’s social-justice initiatives by developing content and spaces where players can speak about the issues that concern them.

This wasn’t just another routine example of Jay-Z living out a lyric he’d rapped nearly 15 years ago—“I’m not a businessman. I’m a business, man!” Instead, the rapper faced questions yesterday about why he chose to collaborate with the same league that he’d publicly criticized for its treatment of Colin Kaepernick, the quarterback who hasn’t had an NFL job since taking a knee during the national anthem three years ago to protest police brutality and racial injustice. This is the same Jay-Z who showed support for Kaepernick by wearing his jersey on Saturday Night Live. On his megahit song “Apeshit,” Jay-Z rapped this lyric: “Once I said no to the Super Bowl: You need me, I don’t need you. Every night we in the end zone. Tell the NFL we in stadiums too.”

Now he’s in business with the league.

Kaepernick’s girlfriend, Nessa Diab, wrote on Twitter that Kaepernick didn’t speak with Jay-Z before he brokered his deal with the NFL. Jay-Z said yesterday that he spoke to Kaepernick on Monday, but he wouldn’t divulge how their conversation went.

Jemele Hill: Kaepernick won. The NFL lost.

A source close to Kaepernick, speaking on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the topic, told me, “It was not a good conversation.”

But it was all smiles yesterday between Jay-Z and Goodell.

“We don’t want people to come in and necessarily agree with us; we want people to come in and tell us what we can do better,” Goodell said at the press conference. “I think that’s a core element of our relationship between the two organizations, and with Jay and I personally.”

The financial arrangements have not been made public. But whatever the numbers, the NFL’s new partnership with Jay-Z is a huge win for the league. Some of the biggest celebrities in the world have voiced their support of Kaepernick, saying they would boycott the NFL until Kaepernick is back in the league.

Now that the NFL has Jay-Z’s blessing, it’s conceivable that some of those entertainers who distanced themselves from the NFL might change their mind. Jay-Z has given the NFL exactly what it wanted: guilt-free access to black audiences, culture, entertainers, and influencers.

NFL officials must have been bothered by how much Kaepernick was discussed during Super Bowl week earlier this year. Not only did Goodell have to answer more questions about why Kaepernick still isn’t receiving any interest from NFL teams, but there had also been a number of reports that the league was having a hard time finding performers for its halftime show. Some stars, including Rihanna and Cardi B, reportedly turned down the opportunity to appear at the event show out of allegiance to Kaepernick. Other celebrities, such as the comedian Amy Schumer, publicly pressured the Maroon 5 singer Adam Levine to pull out of his performance. The Reverend Al Sharpton, the civil-rights leader, blasted the rapper Travis Scott, who performed with Levine. “You can’t fight against Jim Crow and then go sit in the back of the bus,” Sharpton told TMZ.

Ironically, one of the people who also advised Scott not to perform at the Super Bowl was Jay-Z. Yesterday the Roc Nation founder said he’d told Scott he shouldn’t perform at the Super Bowl because he would be playing “second fiddle” to Maroon 5. It had nothing to do with Kaepernick.

Clearly Jay-Z’s support of Kaepernick only went so far. Regardless, why would Jay-Z waste any of his enormous social and cultural capital on the NFL when he doesn’t need the league’s platform, money, resources, or validation?

Read: The war on black athletes

I get that Jay-Z might see this as an opportunity for artists to connect with the NFL’s immense audience. He could also offer some incredible insight and direction to the league on the social-justice front, since he’s been actively engaged in such work for a long time. I also understand that, to become hip-hop’s first billionaire, Jay-Z didn’t always have the luxury of avoiding relationships and partnerships with people he disagreed with or disliked.

Read More at The Atlantic

Online Source For Dallas, Top News, and Culture

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Colin Kaepernick Marks 3rd Anniversary Of National Anthem Protest With Video

Published

on

To mark three years since he began a civil rights protest by not standing during the national anthem at an NFL game, Colin Kaepernick shared an emotional video Wednesday paying tribute to people affected by police brutality. 

The former San Francisco 49ers quarterback, who’s been unsigned since the season he began protesting, tweeted the video with a promise that he’s continuing to “work and stand with the people in our fight for liberation,” referring to the disproportionate number of Black people killed by police.

The video features remarks from friends and family of Alton Sterling, Michael Brown, Tamir Rice and Philando Castile, who were all victims of police violence.

Read More Here at HUFF POST

Continue Reading

Sports

Serena Williams Retires from Rogers Cup Finals Match in Shocking Defeat to 19-Year-Old Canadian

Published

on

Bianca Andreescu, the 19-year-old Canadian tennis star, claimed the championship title over Serena Williams in the 2019 Rogers Cup Finals after Williams retired from the game due to back spasms.

The decorated tennis champion retired from the match Sunday after four games due to a back injury, according to ESPN, which also reported that Williams could be heard telling Andreescu of her back spasms.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t do it today, I tried,” a tearful Williams told the crowd in Toronto, according to Forbes. “But I just I couldn’t do it. Thanks to Jehovah for letting me come out here. And Bianca, you’re a great sports woman. And thanks for my team. It’s been a tough year but we’ll keep going.”

Williams reportedly explained that the issues had begun Saturday night during her semifinal victory over Marie Bouskova.

At the time of Williams’ withdrawal, Andreescu was leading 3-1.

<blockquote class=”twitter-tweet”><p lang=”en” dir=”ltr”>Not the ending we all expected, but what a moment for these two. ❤️🎾🏆<br><br>🇨🇦's <a href=”https://twitter.com/Bandreescu_?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>@Bandreescu_</a> wins the <a href=”https://twitter.com/rogerscup?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>@RogersCup</a> after <a href=”https://twitter.com/serenawilliams?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>@serenawilliams</a> retires due to an injury. <a href=”https://twitter.com/hashtag/RC19?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>#RC19</a> <a href=”https://t.co/N5eAAe5Ntw”>pic.twitter.com/N5eAAe5Ntw</a></p>— Sportsnet (@Sportsnet) <a href=”https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1160616950877315072?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>August 11, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src=”https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

Read More at People

Continue Reading

Sports

Simone Biles Makes History Again With Jaw-Dropping Beam Dismount

Published

on

Five-time Olympic medalist Simone Biles on Saturday made history once again when she became the first gymnast to attempt and land a double-twisting, double somersault dismount from the balance beam in a match.

Biles, the most decorated U.S. gymnast of all time, ended her nearly 1.5-minute routine with the incredible move at the 2019 U.S. Gymnastics Championship in Kansas City, Missouri.

The dismount will be named after Biles once she completes it during an international meet, Team USA said in a press release.

“I feel like you should never settle just because you are winning or you are at the top,” Biles told The New York Times in an interview Wednesday.“You should always push yourself.”

The 22-year-old almost made history earlier Saturday during her floor routine when she attempted to perform a triple-double ― two flips and three twists in the air. But she fell forward as she landed, touching the mat with her hand.

Despite a few missteps, Biles is expected to take home her sixth U.S. title on Sunday, tying Clara Schroth Lomady’s record set in 1952.

News Source HUFF POST


Continue Reading



Follow Us

Trending