Connect with us

News

Harley Barber apologizes for racist video, says she was expelled from Alabama

Published

on

A University of Alabama student who posted videos to social media in which she repeatedly used the n-word and other profanities apologized on Wednesday and said she has been expelled from college.

Harley Barber told the New York Post she was heading back to New Jersey after being kicked out of school. “I did something really, really bad,” Barber told The Post. “I don’t know what to do and I feel horrible. I’m wrong and there’s just no excuse for what I did.”

Barber told the publication she has been getting threatening phone calls in response to the videos, which “came out of nowhere,” she said. “I feel horrible,” she said. “I feel so, so bad and I am so sorry.”

Read Story Here:


“I don’t care if it’s MLK Day N****r!” Harley Barber post racist videos from Univ. of Alabama

Barber was kicked out of her sorority on Tuesday, the executive director of Alpha Phi International Fraternity told AL.com Tuesday. University officials, also on Tuesday, said the “unfortunate behavior” was reported to the Office of Student Conduct.

Asked about expulsion or updates in the case, UA spokesman Chris Bryant on Wednesday said, “We have no changes or updates to our statement at this time.”

A short time later, UA President Stuart Bell released this statement:

University President Stuart R. Bell released this statement on Wednesday: “In light of the racist and disturbing videos posted by one of our students on social media, I want to express my personal disgust and disappointment.

Read More Here

Dallas

27-year-old man and charged in connection with the death of Cedrick Jackson, an 18-month-old boy

Published

on

Dallas police say they have arrested a 27-year-old man and charged him with felony injury to a child in connection with the death of Cedrick Jackson, an 18-month-old boy reported missing Wednesday morning.

Dallas police said Thursday afternoon they recovered the remains of a small child from a landfill Thursday morning, but that those remains have not been positively identified.

Cedrick Jackson, 18 months, was reported missing July 10. His remains were recovered July 11. Photo credit: Jackson Family

“We regret to inform you that the Dallas Police Department has located the remains of a small child who we believe to be 18-month-old Cedrick Jackson, pending a positive identification,” said Maj. Vincent Weddington, with the Dallas Police Department. “This is not the outcome we had hoped for and we want to extend our deepest sympathies to the family at this time.”

Weddington said officers discovered the remains at a landfill in Rowlett after obtaining a confession from 27-year-old Sedrick Deshun Johnson who said he put the child’s body in a dumpster in northeast Dallas. Johnson is the boyfriend of the victim’s aunt, 27-year-old Chrystal Jackson, who had temporary custody of him.


When officers looked in the dumpster, it was empty. Officers then learned that the dumpster had been emptied twice at a landfill in Rowlett — that’s where police said they found a child’s remains at about 11 a.m. Thursday. The

Police, fire and FBI surround the area where the body of a small child was found in a Rowlett landfill, July 11, 2019. The child is believed to be 18-month-old Cedrick Jackson, a boy reported missing the day before. Photo credit: NBC 5 News

statewide Amber Alert was discontinued a short time later.

According to an arrest warrant affidavit obtained by The Dallas Morning News Thursday afternoon, Johnson said he often swaddled the child to restrict his movement. He said the child recently “‘made a mess’ by getting into ketchup packets,” so he wrapped him tightly. He said he heard the boy making sounds at about 12:30 a.m. and that when he unwrapped him he began throwing up and became unresponsive. Johnson told police he performed CPR for about 30 to 45 minutes and said the boy’s chest was moving up and down during CPR. He added that he felt like Cedrick’s heart was beating, but that he wasn’t moving. He said he then put him in the car and drove him to a dumpster.

Juveniles living in the home told police the boy was often wrapped so tightly he’d complain and cry and that he “did not like being wrapped and would always fuss and cry prior to bedtime.”

Chrystal Jackson said she woke up during the night and noticed by Johnson and Cedrick Jackson were gone. She told police she called him to see why he wasn’t at home. It’s not clear if he answered or what answer, if any, he provided to her. According to Dallas police’s Maj. Max Geron, Crystal Jackson called 911 Wednesday morning and reported the boy missing, saying she believed he was in danger. She said she put him to bed at about 11 p.m. and that he wasn’t in his room when she went to check on him.

In the affidavit, police said Johnson, “caused injury to the complainant (the child) by compressing his airway leading to the complainant becoming unresponsive.” Police said Johnson has been charged with injury to a child causing serious bodily injury, felony one. Weddington said investigators have not yet definitively determined how or when the child died. That determination, as well as confirming the identity of the remains, will be made by the Dallas County Medical Examiner’s Office.

Police, fire and FBI surround the area where the body of a small child was found in a Rowlett landfill, July 11, 2019. The child is believed to be 18-month-old Cedrick Jackson, a boy reported missing the day before.
Photo credit: NBC 5 News

Additional charges are possible, police said, based on the outcome of the coroner’s report.

Child Protective Services confirmed to NBC 5 Thursday morning that six additional children, from ages 6 to 10, have been removed from Crystal Jackson’s home. CPS said two of the children belonged to her and the other four belonged to her Johnson.

Records show Johnson has a pending family violence case from 2016 where he allegedly hit his wife on the arm and a 2010 child abandonment charge for engaging with a prostitute while his 4-month-old daughter was left home alone unsupervised. Johnson’s then girlfriend, court documents say, was at a job interview at the time.

Source

 

Continue Reading

News

Two white men charged in beating of black man in Shawnee

Published

on

SHAWNEE — Two white men who were caught on video beating a black man outside a music venue in June, have been charged with felony crimes in Pottawatomie County District Court in connection with the brutal attack, and an attorney representing the victim’s family is pursuing a civil rights case against the defendants.

Jarric Deshawn Carolina, 36, was beaten about 2 a.m. June 22, in a parking lot outside the BrickHouse Saloon in Shawnee. A witness told police that the attackers shouted racial slurs and the men shouted, “White power!” as they fled the scene. Another man also was attacked, Monty Whittet, who is white, but he did not need medical treatment at the scene, police reported.

Two men have been charged with felonies — Devan N. Johnson, 24, of Harrah, and Brandon Wayne Killian, 28, of Oklahoma City. Both men were charged July 5, records show.

Both men were released from Pottawatomie County jail on $25,000 bail after the attack.

Killian failed to appear for an Oklahoma County court appearance stemming from a January 2018 charge of possession of a stolen vehicle and drug paraphernalia and was arrested and jailed in Oklahoma County. Killian was scheduled to appear before an Oklahoma County judge Wednesday afternoon, but the hearing was pushed back two weeks.


At the courthouse, the family’s attorney Edward Maguire said he had been advised by the Oklahoma County district attorney’s office that they were looking into additional details before bringing Killian in front of a judge and that an attorney had expressed interest in representing Killian.

“At least the victim’s family knows where he’s going to be. We do know that Mr. Killian will be in Oklahoma County, thankfully, for the next two weeks,” Maguire said.

He spoke about Wednesday’s rescheduling as a positive outcome in that it would give him more time to prepare his case and that he believed the family would be pleased.

“I think the family’s going to be ecstatic. Their biggest fear was, having been down this road before with other folks, that Mr. Killian was going to be walking out of the courtroom today.”

As for what the victim and the victim’s family want, Maguire said they spoke in depth about their goals on Wednesday.

“I keep being told the same thing, we don’t care about anything other than getting justice for Jarric. We’re not looking for huge settlements, we’re not looking for huge windfalls,” Maguire said. “We’re not looking for anything other than to see, to make sure that Mr. Killian and Mr. Johnson are behind bars for a long period of time, that they stay in their orange jumpsuits for the foreseeable future.”

Maguire said the family’s first concern is Jarric Carolina’s health. Jarric Carolina has been released from a hospital, but he has an eye that was knocked out of place and will require extensive medical attention at the Dean McGee Eye Institute. He also is having trouble with memory and walking.

Jarric Carolina and wife, Jamie Carolina, have two young children at home.

“He’s (Jarric) gradually improving, but we still have a long road ahead,” Jamie Carolina said Wednesday.

Maguire said he wants the case in Pottawatomie County prosecuted as a felony hate crime, but the state’s statutes are woefully inadequate.

“Our statute in Oklahoma, it’s very limited when it comes to hate crimes and as it’s written, Mr. Killian is being charged, along with Mr. Johnson, under a misdemeanor hate crime. The victim’s family and the victim both feel that this is not adequate to address this situation,” he said.

Maguire said he is looking into filing a state or federal civil lawsuit alleging the attack was a hate crime and that Jarric Carolina’s civil rights were violated.

Source

Continue Reading

News

White Man Slit 17-Year-Old Elijah Al-Amin’s Throat Because His Rap Music Made Him Feel ‘Unsafe’

Published

on

Demands for justice began after a white man was arrested for fatally stabbing 17-year-Elijah Al-Amin in Arizona over rap music.

According to azcentral, the suspect, 27-year-old Michael Paul Adams, not only admitted to killing the teen around 1:42 a.m. on July 4, but he also explained his violent attack was fueled over music. Adams told police he heard Elijah playing rap music in his car at a Circle K store in Peoria.

Adams told police rap music makes him feel “unsafe” because of an incident he had with someone who listened to the music in the past. He also went on to suggest anyone who listens to rap music is a threat to the whole community.

Even though Adams said he only felt threatened by the music and not by Elijah, he still decided to be “proactive rather than reactive,” police records state.

Circle K surveillance footage shows Elijah walk into the convenience store and Adams following just a few steps behind. Adams walked around the Circle K before pulling a knife from his pocket and lunging at the teen.


Elijah was stabbed in the back and throat, before running outside and collapsing at a gas pump.

Police performed CPR on the teen before he was transported to a local hospital. Elijah was pronounced dead at 2:05 a.m., according to police records. 

Adams was arrested on 67th Avenue near the Circle K where he told an officer he was involved in the stabbing after being found with blood on his body and clothes.

Adams was booked into a Maricopa County jail on suspicion of first-degree premeditated murder and is being held on a $1 million bond. He is scheduled for a preliminary hearing in court July 15.

According to the Arizona Department of Corrections, Adams had just been released from the Arizona State Prison Complex in Yuma two days before the fatal attack against Elijah.  

Adams’ criminal history includes theft, shoplifting, marijuana violation, disorderly conduct, assault with a weapon and aggravated assault of a correctional employee, according to Maricopa County Superior Court records.

Jacie Cotterell, Adams’ lawyer, said her client was “set up for failure” and questioned whether he was given access to mental health resources after he was released from prison.

“To be specific, he was given resources, he wasn’t given means to get to those resources,” she told azcentral.

However, Bill Lamoreaux, a spokesman with the Arizona Department of Corrections, said in a written statement that Adams “was not designated seriously mentally ill.”

He also claimed Adams was provided with contacts for community services such as continuing care, housing and welfare.

Elijah’s death sparked a nationwide discussion and the hashtag #justiceforElijah began trending over the weekend. Many people on Twitter believe Adams should not be viewed as the victim and mental health issues cannot always be a means for white extremism to be justified.

Source

Continue Reading

Trending